Home (En Español)
Events and Photos
Resources and Links
What It Is
Why It Happens
Signs of Abuse
Why Some Stay
Effects on Children
Help a Friend
What is domestic violence?
- Does not necessarily have to be physical abuse
- Increases in frequency and intensity. It is not a one-time event.
- Can be lethal.
- Is NOT about anger, it IS about power and control.
- Is against the law.
- Can affect anyone from any race, socioeconomic group, gender, sexual orientation, religion, etc.
|Domestic Violence is:
|Domestic Violence is not:
- A misuse of abuse and power in a relationship;
- When one person fears their partner;
- NEVER the victims fault;
- Dangerous and can lead to injury or worse;
- Detrimental to the victims health and self esteem.
- About anger
it is about power and control;
- Normal or healthy in a relationship;
- A male trait
men and women can be either abusers or victims;
- Only a sociopath issue
many abusers can be normal, well-liked in their community, and even charming in public.